Fire devastates Rabbi Emeritus Cohn’s dwelling; donations solicited

The home of Temple Sinai’s Rabbi Emeritus Ed Cohn was heavily damaged in a fire at the DeLimon Place condominiums last Saturday, February 2. While Cohn, his wife Andrea and daughters were unharmed, many of their possessions were destroyed or rendered inoperative.

Emeritus Rabbi Ed Paul Cohn and his wife Andrea. (Photo by Alan Smason)

The Cohns were displaced by the fire and have found temporary domicile away from their home. According to a message from the Temple Sinai administration, “their belongings and condo are a nearly total loss.” In addition, the message continued, there were “at least three other congregants” who were also affected by the fire and left homeless.

While the leadership at the synagogue evaluates requests for assistance, they are asking community members to assist them with aids in kind and donations through their website to assist them. They are advising the congregants that the time period for recovery will be long-term.

“We are in touch with Rabbi Cohn, Andrea, and their daughters to ensure they have whatever they need in the short term, and also to assist with longer-term recovery,” the message continued. “We are working with the family to pinpoint specific needs.”

Aid in kind, such as kitchen appliances or cutlery, can be directed by calling the Temple office at 504-861-3693. Cantor Joel Colman has offered to be the point of contact with congregants and has graciously offered to deliver items to the Cohns at their temporary residence.

A more specific list is being compiled of items to donate,  but in the meantime, financial donations are being encouraged to the Rabbi Emeritus Fund via check or credit card by calling the office. Donations are also being encouraged at the hile we wait for a specific list of items to donate, financial donations can be made to our Rabbi Emeritus Fund via check, credit card, or the Temple website.  

This marks the second time in three years that a member of the New Orleans rabbinate has been affected by a devastating fire. Congregation Beth Israel Rabbi Gabriel Greenberg and his family were uprooted by a fire that occurred in their kitchen in April of 2016. The rabbi had been cleaning his oven as part of the process of ridding his home from chometz in anticipation of the Passover holiday. The home on Cleary Avenue, which was owned by the congregation, was eventually repaired and sold while a new rabbinic domicile several blocks away was secured.

Share Button