(NEW YORK) – Disgraced and fallen Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein was given a 23-year sentence following his conviction last month of committing a sexual act in the first degree and third-degree rape.
Supreme Court Judge James Burke made the sentence for both acts consecutive rather than concurrent in his decision. He gave Weinstein 20 years on the first count and 3 years for the rape charge.
Weinstein’s attorneys said they will appeal the decision to convict him on two of the five original charges leveled against him by the State of New York. The former Hollywood power broker has other charges of rape and sexual assault still pending against him in Los Angeles.
Weinstein returned to court after having spent the past 10 days in hospital following his February 24 convictions. According to his doctors and attorneys, Weinstein had a procedure performed on his heart after experiencing high blood pressure and heart palpitations. His attorneys cited numerous “medical issues” in asking for a lighter sentence.
According to news reports, Weinstein addressed the court for the first time and said in a low voice: “I have great remorse for all of you. I have great remorse for all women.” He concluded “I really feel remorse for this situation. I feel it deeply in my heart.”