Saturday, November 29th 2025   |

Manchester police arrest suspect in Yom Kippur synagogue attack

By JNS STAFF

(JNS.org) – British detectives investigating the Yom Kippur terrorist attack on Oct. 2 at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation in Manchester have arrested an additional suspect, Greater Manchester Police said on Thursday.

Heaton Park Synagogue. (Photo by David Dixon via Wikipedia)

A 31-year-old man was arrested at Manchester Airport “on suspicion of commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism after arriving on an inbound flight,” according to the statement.

He remains in custody for questioning, bringing the total number of people arrested in connection with the investigation to seven.

Jihad al-Shamie, 35, a British national of Syrian descent, phoned emergency services during the attack and pledged allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group.

He was shot dead seven minutes into his attack on the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation, which left Melvin Cravitz, a 66-year-old father of three, and Adrian Daulby, 53, dead. One of the fatalities was likely caused by a stray police bullet.

Three other men were hospitalized for serious injuries, two of whom have since been released.

According to The Telegraph, al-Shamie, who had been released on bail following an alleged rape, was married to three women. British police said he was not known to counter-terrorism authorities before the synagogue attack.

“Our investigation is continuing, and I would once again appeal for anyone with information that they think could assist our enquiries to please come forward,” said Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts on Thursday.

“We are also still seeking to identify and speak to anyone who was present at the time of the incident or the immediate aftermath so that we can ensure they have access to all the welfare support options that are available to witnesses,” he added.

Share Button